[Wien] Choice of Coulomb Energy

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Jun 20 14:20:44 CEST 2013

In a sense you are right, but the advantage of -eece is that a single
alpha number is equivalent to an environmental dependent U term. There
may be an earlier reference to this from Peter/Fabian (perhaps Fe2O3;
I cannot find it quickly), but if you look at the bottom of Table 1 of
Surface Science 603(14): p. 2179-2187, 2009 the same HF fraction is
equivalent to a Ti U of 4.93, 5.87 4.85/5.61 5.53 in TiO, TiO2, Ti2O3,
TiN. (Ti2O3 has to different Ti sites, hence two numbers).

If one is doing a simple calculation with only one relevant site then
this does not matter. If of interest is a surface or a defect then it
can certainly start to matter a lot.