[Wien] volume optimization

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Mar 1 19:59:38 CET 2013

My two cents. Both LDA+U and GGA+U are wrong. That said, for f-/d- systems
they are often better than LDA/GGA for some properties. The question you
should ask yourself is what property are you trying to measure/predict, and
what a-priori information (reference state) do you have that can be used?

For instance, if I want to calculate a surface energy then I would tune the
U to give the most accurate bulk energy treating this as my a-priori
information; similarly if I wanted to calculate the elastic behavior of a
defect I would tune to the bulk elastic constants. In my opinion this is
the only justifiable approach.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University