[Wien] volume optimization

Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Fri Mar 1 21:00:03 CET 2013

Dear Colleague,

To simplify the discussion I propose to take the example of NiO.
When you are doing LDA+U or GGA+U, the Hubbard term leads to a
correction of the chosen energy levels (here 3d(Ni) states). As a
consequence the interaction (orbital overlap) between 3d(Ni) and 2p(O)
states is modified. The related chemical bond is thus dependent of the
Hubbard term you are using. As a consequence, by increasing the U value,
you increase the ionicity of the Ni-O bond and thus modify the related
bond length.

To conclude, when I use LDA+U or GGA+U, I always consider a set of
properties. I choose the Ueff value to reproduce one property and then I
use this Ueff value to predict the others. For sure it can be
problematic in some cases but it works quite nicely in general.

Best Regards

Xavier