[Wien] Clarification on (a) effective moment including spin-orbit coupling and (b) spin-state configuration

Kalpana kalpana.ghm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:08:33 CEST 2013

Dear Prof. Blaha and Tran,
    Thanks for your nice comment.
Your reply to my first and third questions in clear now.
However, I am still not clear to my first question.

While performing the calculations for GGA+U and GGA+U+SOC, I obtained
solutions of total spin-magnetic moemnts as below:

> With GGA+U             ==== :MMTOT: SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL
> = 5.00042
> With GGA+U+SOC  ==== :MMTOT: SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL   =     4.72942

(i) The MMTOT (Spin-magnetic moment) from GGA+U+SOC is 4.72942 not 5.00,
which I suppose to be same or nearly equal because both are spin-magnetic
moment in cell [without including spin-orbit coupling].
So, I am interested to know whether the SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT in CELL for
GGA+U+SOC should be read as an effective moment [i.e. spin(S) + orbital
(L)] or something else.
Additionally, if they are the actual SPIN MOMENT in GGA+U+SOC, why are
their magnitude different with GGA+U because orbital-moment is not
included.
Can you please clarify my doubt again.
Thanks
Kalpana