[Wien] Clarification on (a) effective moment including spin-orbit coupling and (b) spin-state configuration

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 2 16:54:10 CEST 2013

As I said, :MMTOT is the number of up-electrons minus the number of
down-electrons, which obviously means that orbital(L) is not included.

If your system is an insulator, then :MMTOT is an integer
(e.g., :MMTOT=23-18=5), but if it is a metal, then :MMTOT can be
a non-integer (e.g., :MMTOT=22.8-18.2=4.6) because some bands are
only partially filled.