[Wien] Insufficient virtual memory - LAPW2

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyuka17 at mail.ru
Tue Oct 15 08:53:54 CEST 2013

14.10.2013 18:33, Salman Zarrini wrote:

Dear Salman,

I think your case is very strange, so, being into despair, till our
experts think, let's precise:
1)
 > there are no unlimited restriction
 > on the machines. multiple (a, b and c)
 > machines which have the same installation of WIEN2K-12 (OS and
 > software)

Fortran and mkl also are the same?

2)
> a) 2 Socket, Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270, 8GB RAM
> b) 2 Socket, (8Core) AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6320, 64GB RAM
> c) 2 Socket, (8Core(*2=HT)) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz,
> 256GB RAM
> $ ulimit -a

I imply here that you have done the same for all three computers and
obtained the same answers (?)

3)
In some configurations, as far as I remember, the system does not
transfer set-up to executing scripts. I'd advice you to add the command
"ulimit -a" to run_lapw (or runsp_lapw if you have used this) and to
check the output for each computer, no necessity to really make the
cycle, it is sufficient to add this command somewhere in the beginning
around lapw0 execution and a stop command just after it, and to see the
output.

4)
> on machines (a) and (b) failed
> (a) failed in the first iteration
> (b) failed in the third iteration
This (b) computer completes two iterations. Compare scf file with the
scf file from (c) computer. Are these two iterations identical?

5)
During these two iterations make "top" in terminal and check what
happened with memory during lapw2. And maybe you see something during
lapw2 in the third iteration.

For the present, nothing more clever comes into my mind.

Best wishes
   Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci.
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132
RUSSIA
Tel.:7(3412) 442118 (home), 218988(office), 722529(Fax)
E-mail: lyu at ftiudm.ru
         lyuka17 at mail.ru (office) lyuka17 at gmail.com (home)
Skype:  lyuka17 (home), lyuka18 (office)
http://fti.udm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/