[Wien] Insufficient virtual memory - LAPW2

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:58:52 CEST 2013

Do "grep -e RKM *.scf* " which will give you the size of the matrix.
Also, how many k-points?  I suspect that both is are large in which
case it is certainly possible to request too much memory for a 8Gb
machine although I am surprised that it fails with a 64Gb machine. If
RKM is large you may need to move to the mpi version and use
lapw2_vector_split:2 .

If it is not this, then there is something wrong at the OS level
and/or some other code is running. One way to look is to use top while
lapw2 is running (e.g. do x lapw2 from a terminal, and top in another
terminal).

N.B., the default number of k-points is a reasonable estimate for a
small unit cell metal. In general the number of k-point needed is
going to scale as 1/Cell Volume, i.e. one needs a certain density of
k-points in reciprocal space.