[Wien] Regarding Occupency

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 23 08:13:51 CEST 2013

Yes, you have to use supercells.
In fact, you even have to use pretty large supercells, since you want to
simulate low    "x"   and even for "large x" one should always use LARGE
supercells and put in some DISORDER.

If one wants to simulate a 50:50 ALLOY, one cannot use just a 2-atom
cell AB (since this corresponds to a "compound", but NOT an ALLOY).

An alloy is DISORDERED and you need to simulate that by some random
distribution of the atoms in a supercell which should be as large as
possible.