[Wien] leaking core charge and ‘.lcore’

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 4 09:30:17 CEST 2014

> I am working on a structure containing Osmium.  In init, I got a warning
> that Os 5s core charge (about 1%) leaked out of the sphere (RMT=2.08 set
> by setrmt).

I don't know the energy of Os 5s. If it is just a little below -6. Ry,
just lower E-core, if it is at lower energies, .lcore should be fine.
The solution with   .lcore should be perfectly ok in your case.
.lcore directs the code to use the spherical core-density (also beyond RMT)
and do a superposition of these densities using dstart (see the dayfile).

.lcore would NOT be ok if Os-O distances become so small, that the Os-5s
band gets a significant band-width due to the interaction with O.

RMTs of 2.5 and 1.3 violate the RMT criteria and together with a large
RKmax ?) you get "numerical linear dependencies and ghostbands). Usually
it is save to change the suggestions of setrmt by a small amount (eg.
2.18 for Os), but not that much.