[Wien] Supercell structure co-ordinates are different in Wien2k and PHON

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Dec 5 13:13:08 CET 2014

I am not familar with VASP and this is the Wien2k Forum here,
but I know that there is no need to give the name of the atoms in POSCAR
the line 16 16 16  means 16 atoms of the first kind 16 of the scond and 16 of the third
and there are 3 times 16  positions  in the list
and the lattice is cubic primitive as seen from the matrix
the result is something like XYZ instead of X2YZ
I guess PHON gave the correct answer on the wrong question.
(Remember, the ERROR is always sitting 30 cm (1ft. for Americans) in front of your monitor ;-)

I like much more to use the correct space groups then to give the matrix by hand.

Phonophy suggest for Wien2k to use P 1 in cases where the construction of the Hellman Feynman forces failes.

I have only experience with Wien2k and Phonon of Parlinsky and had no problems with the produced struct files with different superstructure sizes.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University