[Wien] Magic angle for different edges in a sample

Hajar Nejati hajar.nejatipoor at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 13:26:25 CET 2014

Thank you so much
I got the answer.
The best
      From: Kevin Jorissen <kevinjorissenpdx at gmail.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:34 AM
 Subject: Re: [Wien] Magic angle for different edges in a sample

Hi Hajar,
The edge energies are ~800% different, and the magic angles will also be ~800% different.  It will be completely impossible to have both edges within magic angle in the same experiment.  Although that is likely a theoretical problem, as I don't think people usually measure EELS up to 10,000 eV.  That's more X-ray regime.  (There is also a so-called "magic angle" in x-ray absorption spectroscopy, but it's something completely different from the magic angle in EELS.)

I highly recommend the Hebert paper (2006).  The Sun and Yuan paper is also good but (my memory may be wrong on this) it may contain a mistake in some of the algebra, whereas the Hebert paper is definitely relativistically correct.
Cheers
Kevin