[Wien] Effect of a finite nucleus on electron density at the nucleus

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Fri Jan 17 16:27:57 CET 2014

> Clearly, for isomer shifts it might be that the problem is fixed by
> taking an appropriate alpha when converting into mm/s.

I share this opinion. The density at the first mesh point is probably
quite 'wrong', but roughly by the same factor. And as isomer shifts are
calibrated against a few experimental values rather than predicted in an
absolute way, the conversion factor absorbs this problem to a large extent.

> In any case, the potential due to a finite nucleus would add another
> dimension.

Michael Filatov describes an alternative method to compute the isomer as
an energy derivative, a procedure that is seamlessly consistent with a
finite nucleus description: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2008.05.002
  (Sec. 2.3, Coordination Chemistry Reviews 253 (2009) 594–605)

Stefaan