[Wien] Help on AFM Structure

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 20 09:57:16 CET 2014

So you have 4 non-equivalent Fe and in total 9 Fe atoms in the cell.

If you don't know anything about magnetism:

1) do it ferromagnetic
2) try out various ferri-magnetic situations (like 1-3=up, 4=dn; but
also others). Compare total energies. Of course with 9 Fe atoms you
cannot generate a perfect antiferromagnet.

Once this is done, you could go to a P-cell (doubling the number of
atoms as done before), but keep the original Fe atoms all up, and only
the new positions (eg. 1: 0,0,0 --> .5,0,.5) all dn. (Still, you would
have only 8 different Fe positions).