[Wien] Question regarding volume expansion-contraction after extraction of Li ions

shamik chakrabarti shamikphy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 08:06:17 CET 2014

Dear Prof. Blaha,

                        *we have also used the option 6 for optimization of
delithiated compound...but in that case also we have obtained decrements in
unit cell volume with Li ion extraction.*

We have also used GGA, and GGA+U for lattice parameter optimization. As,
usual with GGA+U approach we have obtained higher lattice parameters than
the case with GGA. However, decrements of unit cell volume with Li
extraction has been apparent for both the cases.

Yes it could be the fact that we may need to modify the script for
simultaneous optimization of coordinates with lattice parameter
optimization....whether it could lead to the solution?....whether the
decrements of unit cell volume with Li delithiation can be avoided & we
actually will get an increment by this method?.....

Most importantly, although we are getting a volume reduction with Li
de-intercalation (opposite to VASP)...we are getting very well matched
values of density of states and voltage (from total energy consideration).

Looking forward to your further discussion which may shed some light over
our problems.

with regards,