[Wien] Reg: Fixed spin moment calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 31 07:50:48 CEST 2014

Step 2) is the correct thing, but at least you should also add a total
energy for M=0.
And if the normal runsp calculation gives you the lowest total energy
compared to all your fsm calculations, this is the proper solution.

However:   do you know   WHY   you want to make a fsm calculation ?

The  FSM method is used in 2 cases:
a) The total energy of more than ONE magnetic/non-magnetic calculations
is almost identical. You may see this in a normal scf calculation that
it converges very slowly (or not at all) or the calculations of runsp_c
and runsp (zero and finite moments) give almost the same energy.
b) You obtained some solution with runsp, but you want to search for
another (eg. a high-spin or low-spin) solution. In this case you have to
estimate what would be the total moment of such an solution and search
the corresponding M-range.