[Wien] About the awk version WIEN2K script use

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 10 18:21:16 CET 2014

I cannot help about OSX:

Just to make the meaning of gnu awk clear:
awk --h
Usage: awk [POSIX or GNU style options] -f progfile [--] file ...
Usage: awk [POSIX or GNU style options] [--] 'program' file ...
POSIX options:          GNU long options: (standard)
         -f progfile             --file=progfile
         -F fs                   --field-separator=fs
         -v var=val              --assign=var=val

So -v is used to assign a value to a variable.

Checkout your awk-version and find out how you can use variables in your awk.

Alternatively you could install gawk ...

Am 10.11.2014 17:52, schrieb Hu, Wenhao:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to do a fixed spin momentum calculation with WIEN2K. But after finishing the lapw1 stage, I got a message saying
> "awk: invalid -v option
>
>   stop error: the required input file case.in2up for the next step could not be found".
>
> My cluster is OSX based. And a 20070501 version of awk is preinstalled, which is not a gnu awk. So I doubt the problem is the incompatibility of my awk.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Wenhao

Peter Blaha
Inst. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna