[Wien] Bridging from Physics to Chemistry

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 22 16:29:51 CEST 2014

It is a bit beyond the topics of the mailing list, but I still will try
to contribute to your understanding hoping that I'm not getting
oversimplifying:

The terms "closed" and "open" shell in atoms/molecules usually means
that you have only paired electrons (each atomic/molecular orbital is
occupied by a spin-up AND dn electron), or also unpaired electrons.
 From this definition it is also clear that any atom/molecule with an
odd number of electrons will be open-shell, and in an open-shell systems
there is a net spin-magnetic moment since the number of up/dn electrons
is (usually) different).
In a bigger molecule you could have several unpaired electrons in
different MOs, but the be arranged in different ways in spin-up or dn,
and one usually classifies them by specifying the "spin-multiplicity"
(singlet, duplet,triplet,...)

And last but not least, one can make an approximation restrict spin-up
and dn-orbitals to be the same or not (restricted/unrestricted).

In solids things are a bit different:

If all electrons are paired and we have an insulator/semiconductor, we
talk about a diamagnet (="closed shell") and it implies again that the
number of electrons is even.
However, in contrast to atoms/molecules, we can have a paramagnetic
METAL, which can have an odd number of electrons and still the up and
dn-electrons are equal. This is a consequence of the large ("infinite")
number of atoms in a 3D solid and the resulting delocalization of the
electronic states, so that ONE atom may have only a small fraction of an
electron in a particular "orbital" (better a Bloch-state).
So the Na atom is a open shell system with 1 unpaired electron, while
metallic Na is a paramagnet (and we do run_lapw, i.e. forcing equal
number and orbitals for up and dn spin).

Also in a solid you can have unpaired electrons (take the metals Fe or
Cr), but then these "open shell" solutions may differ in the way they
have long-range order (something that does of course not exist in
molecules). If the spins on all atoms point into the same direction, we
speak about a ferromagnet (Fe), but they could also be antiferromagnetic
(spin-up on one atom, spin-dn on the next,...) or even more complicated
(spin-spirals, non-collinear (or canted), ....
Cr you can consider as AFM (although, actually it has a long
spin-spiral...).
So for AFM-Cr we do a "spin-unrestricted" calculation with a total
singlet (zero) spin/unit cell), while for ferromagnetic Fe the total
spin is non-zero (note, Fe has a NON-INTEGER spin-moment of 2.2 uB,
something which does (to my knowledge) not exist in a finite system.

And last but not least, an Antiferromagnet in "MO"-language is a system
where there are more occupied orbitals of spin-up on atom 1; but more of
spin-dn on atom 2.
Or if you like: When we do the O2 molecule in a periodic code using a
big supercell, the triplet O2 molecular state is a "ferromagnet", while
the singlet state would be an antiferromagnet.