[Wien] Bridging from Physics to Chemistry

Salman Zarrini salman.zarrini at tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Oct 22 19:25:06 CEST 2014

Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for your prompt and nice answer.
So can you confirm me please that, in comparison of a "paramagnetic"
METAL and a "antiferromagnetic" solid I would say that "paramagnetic"
METAL is a kind of a "closed shell" system while a "antiferromagnetic"
solid is a "open shell" but both of them have zero spin/unit
cell,singlet state or so to speak, a "paramagnetic" METAL is a
"singlet closed shell" system but "antiferromagnetic" is a "singlet
open shell" system.

I have to more questions which your answer would be highly appreciated:

1. What happen in a bulk case that we start a scf spin-polarized
calculation (runsp_lapw) where all the spin for example are aligned up
in initialization (instgen_lapw -> case.inst) but at the end no spin
magnetic moment or a nonmagnetic system would be harvested. Means we
started from a "Open shell" system (in this case triplet or even more)
but the SCF finished by a "closed shell" system, is it meaningful such
changes?

2. Do you think does it make sense talking about paramagnetic behavior
or call a system paramagne in the DFT calculation? as in one hand the
"zero kelvin" is the temperature considered in all the DFT level
calculations and codes, and in another hand we know that
"paramagnetic" behavior shows up at higher than specific temperatures
like "curie and neel" in solid states

Best regards,

Salman Zarrini