[Wien] wien2wannier with wien2k.14.1

Zhu, Jianxin jxzhu at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 23 20:22:05 CEST 2014

Hi Elias,

As you suggested earlier, I pulled this issue to the mailing list.

After I downloaded wien2k.14.1 integrated with wien2wannier, even before
compilation/installation, I noticed many strange characters displayed
inside the wien2wannier90 script files, for example, near the end of
init_w2w_lapw

-b      ->      batch mode (do not ask questions)
-numk   ->      number of k-points (default: 100; can also use â~@~\Nx Ny
Nzâ~@~])
-emin,-emax ->  select bands by energy (needs â~@~Xoutput1â~@~Y file;
careful!)
-all X Y    ->  synonym for â~@~X-emin X -emax Yâ~@~Y
-bands I J  ->  select bands directly (more robust)
-proj   ->      specification of initial projections (â~@~\Amnâ~@~])
-w90    ->      Wannier90 options to set

â~@~XOPTIONSâ~@~Y  are only  operative  in batch  mode,  except
â~@~X-w90â~@~Y,  which
accepts as arguments  key-value pairs to be put  into â~@~Xcase.winâ~@~Y.
The
sp/so  switches  are  usually  unnecessary  (detected  automatically).
theend

exit 0

I did some file type check (with the suggestion of Matt Jones at Univ.
Buffalo) ---

/wien2k.14.1] jxzhu% file --mime init_lapw
init_lapw: text/x-shellscript; charset=us-ascii

/wien2k.14.1] jxzhu% file --mime init_w2w_lapw
init_w2w_lapw: text/x-shellscript; charset=utf-8

It looks the charset used for wien2wannier90 scripts is different than the
rest of wien2k scripts.

As such, I manually set

setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8

in the login shell script file. Then I see the following ---

-b      ->      batch mode (do not ask questions)
-numk   ->      number of k-points (default: 100; can also use âNx Ny Nzâ
file; careful!)
-all X Y    ->  synonym for â
-bands I J  ->  select bands directly (more robust)
-proj   ->      specification of initial projections (âAmnâ  are only
operative  in batch  mode,  except â,  which
accepts as arguments  key-value pairs to be put  into â.  The
sp/so  switches  are  usually  unnecessary  (detected  automatically).
theend

exit 0

With the manual setting of UTF-8, I still see characters like hat{a} and
the item like -w90 is missing in the display.
As such, I am not sure what I get in whatever way is correct.

I tested this issue on my Mac OSX machine, but also saw the strange
characters on my linux cluster.

Kevin, I appreciate if you can help me check this on your mac osx machine.

Cheers,

Jianxin

Jian-Xin Zhu, Ph.D
Theoretical Division, MS B262