[Wien] Photon energies in XES ...

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 28 19:38:47 CEST 2015

You are mixing 2 concepts:

a) Yes, the final state rule applies and thus for XES calculations you
should NOT use a core hole, but use the ground state DOS.

b) Strictly speaking, only E-tot is a valid quantity in DFT. In
particular, the eigenvalues are in principle NOT excitation energies.
However, for delocalized states (eg. valence electrons) experience has
shown that the eigenvalues (bandstructure,DOS) can be used to interprete
experimental spectra.
This is, however, no true for localized states (core states), because
these eigenvalues are not ionization energies but are defined as the
derivative of the total energy with respect to occupation of the
corresponding state.
      e_i =d E / d n_i
So one can use "Slaters transition state" approximation and make a
supercell calculation, where on one atom HALF an electron should be
removed. After scf, check the eigenvalue (with respect to EF) and you
should obtain a significantly better binding energy of this core state
(and the corresponding absolute XES transition energy.
(Typically the error of a 1s core state is reduced from eg. 10 eV to
about 1 eV.
(about XPS energies and Slaters transition state see my lecture notes of
our workshops on our web site).