[Wien] Issue with different convergence results and QTL-B warnings

Michał Wojciechowski 20000339 at stud.uz.zgora.pl
Wed Dec 9 17:57:34 CET 2015

Dear Wien2k users!
Currently I’m performing calculations for a chromium magnetic wheel - Cr_8F_8(O_2CH)_16. While I intend to get various quantities the primary one is magnetic interaction parameter J between chromium ions. To that end I require energies of two spin configurations - ferromagnetic (E_FM) and antiferromagnetic (E_AFM) - since J = (E_FM - E_AFM)/36.
The case file is attached. I’m using RKM = 2.0 (NMATMAX = 50 000, so RKM is unreduced), RMT = 2.40, 1.20, 1.24, 1.00 and 0.83 Bohr for Cr, F, O, C and H, respectively, single k point since it is a molecule. Remaining parameters are default or as suggested by the program. I use two approaches.
Approach 1.
I start with PBE functional from a command line with:
runsp_lapw -i 50 -ec 0.00001 -cc 0.001
The calculations converge nicely with no warnings or errors. I then change the XC functional to B3LYP (option 47 in case.in0 and additional case.ineece file) and run the command:
runsp_lapw -eece -i 50 -ec 0.00001 -cc 0.001
The calculations converge nicely with no errors but there is a single warning:
:WARN : QTL-B value eq.  11.12 in Band of energy  -2.28970  ATOM=   27  L=  0
Atom 27 is carbon. The case.in1 entry for this atom is
  0.30    3  0      (GLOBAL E-PARAMETER WITH n OTHER CHOICES, global APW/LAPW)
 0   -0.71      0.002 CONT 1
 0    0.30      0.000 CONT 1
 1    0.30      0.000 CONT 1
Using -in1new I was able to determine, that using parameter -1.70 instead of 0.30 resolves the issue. I then changed entries for all carbon atoms to
  0.30    3  0      (GLOBAL E-PARAMETER WITH n OTHER CHOICES, global APW/LAPW)
 0   -0.71      0.002 CONT 1
 0   -1.70      0.000 CONT 1
 1    0.30      0.000 CONT 1
and continued the calculations. This time I got no warnings and obtain results:
E_FM = -24370.92259156 Ry
E_AFM = -24370.92652933 Ry
J = 1.5 meV
Approach 2.
I starte with PBE functional and already modifie energy parameter in case.in1. After convergence is reached I continue with B3LYP functional. No warnings are present and I obtain the following results:
E_FM = -24370.91735838 Ry
E_AFM = -24370.92522898 Ry
J = 3.0 meV
So the issue is why are there such big differences? Which quantities should I check to determine the source of these discrepancies?
I am running Wien version 13.1 on a one, single processor, multi-core Intel Xeon machine with openSUSE 13.1 operating system. Programs were build with Intel compilers and math libraries (Intel Composer 2013 SP1) and OpenMPI 1.6.5.

Best Regards

Michał Wojciechowski
PHD student at Institute of Physics
Department of Physics and Astronomy