[Wien] AFM calculations for YBCO6

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 18 17:58:22 CEST 2015

Good evening,

Sorry, I commented first without remembering the structure correctly.

The antiferromagnetic and superconducting phase diagram of Y123O(6+x)
has been studied experimentally very extensively in the 90's with - in
my opinion - very clear results on the exact AF phases from neutron
diffraction and NMR. I don't want to drown anyone in literature, so
being an NMR guy I strongly suggest to look into the NMR work:

E. Brecht and W. W. Schmahl and H. Fuess and S. Schmenn and H.
L{\"u}tgemeier and N. H. Andersen and B. Lebech and Th. Wolf,
Neutron diffraction and NQR study of the intermediate turn angle phase
formed during AFI to AFII reordering in
{YBa$_2$Cu$_{3-x}$Al$_x$O$_{6+\delta}$},
Physical Review B, 1997, 56, no.2, p 940

Allow me to suggest in addition my own work

K. Nehrke and M. W. Pieper and T. Wolf,
Local magnetic properties of PrBa2Cu3O6+x: {NMR} and {NQR} in crystals,
Phys. Rev. B, 1996, 53, 1

Perhaps you can work from there through the references for details and
additional studies.

There are two crystalografic different Cu sites in the perovskite, the
so-called chain- and twice as many plane-sites. The variable oxygen
content is between the Cu chain sites. In accord with what Prof.
Delamora noted, the Cu on chains never carrys a magnetic moment. Cu in
the planes forms a (well studied) spin-1/2 2D Heisenberg square lattice
AF (nearest neighbors antiparallel) at low oxygen concentration (the
Y123O6 end of the phase diagram), and the famous high-temperature
superconductor when the oxygen sites between chain-Cu are filled, doping
the electron holes into the planes.

If the system orders AF the planes ALWAYS form a square lattice spin-1/2
AF with nearest neighbors antiparallel. So you need to assign numbers
like Cu1 (for up) and Cu2 (for down) for Cu in the planes. The chain Cu
is on a different crystalografic site and doesn't need numbering.

What I did not remember correctly is that since you have two plane site
Cu even in the primitive cell you can, in fact, get away with a 1*1*1
cell. BUT look in XCRYSDEN or something like it to make sure that your
numbering makes nearest neighbors in the planes antiparallel! A
configuration with parallel spins along the a- or b-axis should have
significantly higher E_tot.

If you consider not only Y123O6 but introduce oxygen between Cu
chain-sits you loose the 4-fold symmetry of the c-axis even in the
non-magnetic case. This is why, as far as I recall, at least a 2*2*1
supercell is necessary. To describe the different stacking sequences
along the c-axis you will have to at least double the cell along the
c-axis as well. See the above mentioned Phys Revs and the literature
cited therein for the variety of AF phases that come about by different
stacking of these planes along the c-axis depending on the oxygen
content, or on the rare earth element.

As an additional comment: To my knowledge all evidence indicates that
there is NO coexistence of AF-order and superconductivity. At
intermediate oxygen content a phase separation occures into
superconducting and AF phases.

Good luck with your calculations,

Martin Pieper

---