[Wien] Calculate spin orbit coupling with external magnetic field (ORB package)

Jing-Han Chen jhchen at tamu.edu
Tue Nov 10 22:06:06 CET 2015

Thank Gerhard and Martin for checking and trying this question with me.

I am using wien2k 14.2 and case.indmc.
Beside the issues pointed out by Gerhard and Martin, another thing I
noticed is that symmetso has reading error of case.inorb only if the
structure has more than one site.
It might be the reason why the error does not appear in Pt.

> indeed, the same with me
> as I just noted: the problem is that w2web creates .indm and likes to create a new one if its missing, even if you have a correct .indmc.
>

> Ciao
> Gerhard
>
> DEEP THOUGHT in D. Adams; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
> "I think the problem, to be quite honest with you,
> is that you have never actually known what the question is."
>
> ====================================
> Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
> Institut of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry
> Johannes Gutenberg - University
> 55099 Mainz
> and
> Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids
> 01187 Dresden
> Betreff: Re: [Wien] Calculate spin orbit coupling with external magnetic field (ORB package)
>
> Being a stupid and lazy person I always use the w2web interface, and the
> *_so versions stay hidden with that.
>
> I would assume that they are temporary versions, probably built by the
> script to be renamed at the end to case.indm(c) and case.inorb.
>
> I would like to point out again what Gerhard said: this is a magnetic
> case so you have to use complex versions, especially case.indmc!
>
> Good luck
>
> Martin
>

> ---
> Dr. Martin Pieper
> Karl-Franzens University
> Institute of Physics
> Universitätsplatz 5
> A-8010 Graz
> Austria
> Tel.: +43-(0)316-380-8564
>

> Am 09.11.2015 21:59, schrieb Jing-Han Chen:
>> Thanks for the comments from Martin, Gerhard and Peter.
>> I assumes all inputs accurate since ORB and SOC can be run
>> individually.
>>
>> It works successfully if I change case.inorb to some other name before
>> x symmetso and create it manually.
>>
>> I have one further question.
>> The script symmetso generates case.inorb_so and case.indm_so.
>> Should they be the same as case.inorb case.indm respectively for SOC
>> with external magnetic field, or should they be kept as empty after
>> symmetso?

>>> The same with me: I would have to dig through old archives to find out
>>> what
>>> I actually did, but I am fairly sure that I used SO + external field a
>>> few
>>> years ago (probably Wien2k 10 or 12) - and don't recall any
>>> incompatibilities between SO and external field at the time.
>>>
>>> Keep fingers crossed that it checks out with an input file error
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Dr. Martin Pieper
>>> Karl-Franzens University
>>> Institute of Physics
>>> Universitätsplatz 5
>>> A-8010 Graz
>>> Austria
>>> Tel.: +43-(0)316-380-8564

Jing-Han Chen <jhchen at tamu.edu>
Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA
http://people.physics.tamu.edu/jhchen/