[Wien] Calculate spin orbit coupling with external magnetic field (ORB package)

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 11 12:19:52 CET 2015

Re-reading the thread my guess is that (as usual) Peter was right from
the start: Nobody tried before ... if symmetso is compatible with nmod=3
in inorb. Your difficulties indicate that it's not. One additional thing
I can think of to check there is wether the direction of M in your
case.inso and the field direction in your case.inorb are compatible.

However, such an incompatibility would not imply that SO and external
field in ORB are incompatibel. At least I myself initialized SO (using
w2web) always BEFORE turning on any orbital potential and did at least
one SCF + save. Actually, the reason was some warning sentence in the UG
sec. 7.3 about possible instabilities of the SCF for LDA+U without SO.
Maybe I circumvented your initialization problems that way.

Good luck

Martin

---
Dr. Martin Pieper