[Wien] Band labeling

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Oct 27 08:53:21 CET 2015

This is a type of textbook question, that means the complete answer takes more than one textbook
it will depend on how much you know about electronic structure, symmetry and group theory, as well as topology.

In the forum one can answer how to do things or comment on small questions, however,
why you calculated the band structure of something is a question that you have to ask yourself.

In short, the irreducible representation tells you which symmetry a band has, this has mostly nothing to do with its shape.
In an anylysis of the electronic structure of a semiconductor about its topological character (trivial or non trivial) you might like to check first
whether  band inversion occurs that is whether the energies of bands with distinguished energies are "regular" or "reversed",
more details will depend on the system you are looking on, and its impossible to give here all possibilities for every crystal structiure that might occur.
In certain cases you will have to check the symmetry of the bands not only at Gamma but also at other high symmetry points.
Therfore, please check the textbooks and literature.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University