[Wien] regarding exciton binding energies and dielectric constant [updated]

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 10 15:02:54 CET 2016

I'm not the expert on that topic, but I think you mix up the two
dielectric constants, which could be a semantic problem. To compare with
a classic experiment, you may need to obtain the ionic contribution to
the dielectric constant, which as far as I know can be done using BERRYPI.

Other comments:
To obtain the "correct" band gap using PBE is very "unusual". For most
materials (but of course there could be exemptions) the PBE band gaps
should be ~50%  smaller than experiment.

Pb ??? this is very "relativistic" ! Did you consider spin-orbit coupling ?

And last but not least, I have no idea how you calculate exciton binding
energies from a single particle spectrum. We would do this using BSE
calculations, but your system is probably too complicated for this.