[Wien] regarding exciton binding energies and dielectric constant [updated]

John McLeod john.mcleod at usask.ca
Thu Nov 10 15:24:27 CET 2016

I have some experience using WIEN2k for metal organic halide perovskites.

PBE without SOC gets the correct band gap for CH3NH3PbI3 (which I assume
is the compound Dr. Bhamu is studying) because of a "fortuitous" error
cancellation between using PBE and ignoring SOC. This is reasonably well
known and has been studied in detail in several manuscripts. SOC+PBE
results in a significantly underestimated band gap, as one might expect.

I assume Dr. Bhamu is using the calculated low frequency dielectric
constant (e*), and the calculated effective mass (m*) to estimate the
binding energy using the simple Mott-Wannier model: E_ex = m*/e^2 (13.6)
eV .

SOC does modify the shape of the bands near the gamma-point (I believe
it reduces the effective mass), and SOC also influences the dielectric
constant. So I think perhaps including SOC and using a scissors
operation with OPTIC to get the correct band gap may be the most
straight-forward (if not completely ab initio) method.

Have you looked at F. Brivio, et al., Phys. Rev. B 89 155204 (DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevB.89.155204)?
They go into some detail about different approaches, it may be helpful
for your present situation.

Regards,
-John McLeod

So I do not think SOC can be