[Wien] Discrepancy in the simulation of the paramagnetic state

E.A.Moore e.a.moore at open.ac.uk
Sun Nov 27 09:39:51 CET 2016

In the paramagnetic state, as Prof. Blaha says, the atoms still have magnetic moments but they are randomly oriented. This arises when the thermal energy is sufficient to overcome the spin-spin coupling. I would expect a calculation on Gd at 0K to give you a ferromagnetic state with very small spin-spin coupling. You can check the coupling by a run with one spin reversed.

I am not convinced you can model a paramagnetic state with a DFT calculation and zero moments is not a good model. Your second example reads as though it is reporting experimental results on the magnetisation and does not seem to provide a model for calculations.

I would also agree with Prof. Blaha about the factors influencing efg. Interatomic distance is very important in calculating this.

Elaine A. Moore
The Open University
UK