[Wien] Discrepancy in the simulation of the paramagnetic state

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 27 00:24:45 CET 2016

My two cents concerning this problem:

What moments do you consider to be zero, Reggad? With Ni being a METAL I
would claim that the electron spin moment is the one to inspect.
Certainely you (or the authors you read) do not propose to set the
electron spin to zero?

Remember that DFT calculates the situation at T=0. Simulating
paramagnetism at high temperature by forcing the spin-polarization to
zero may work for some purposes, but will be bad if you are interested
in magnetic properties: With zero moments nothing will happen if you
switch on a magnetic field!

With 4f-electrons there is a good chance that one can consider the whole
4f-shell as a quantum system of its own, instead of the single
electrons. Then each lattice site carrys some moment. The paramgnetic
phase of such an ensemble is by definition the one where the expectation
value of the total magnetization vanishes due to incoherent random
fluctuations of the 4f-moments. imho, the view of this phase as all the
moments pointing in random directions has its merits, but one should not
over-interprete the picture. Such a state is most probably not even an
eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, let alone the ground state that DFT is
concerned with.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University