[Wien] Fermi level

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Oct 20 10:58:22 CEST 2016

The Fermi energy is the energy of highest occupied state at zero temperature by definition,
therefore, it is in semiconductors always the top of the valence band.

Everything else will be an arbitrary choice !  (Or are there any occupied states inside of the gap ? ;-)

Do not confuse the Fermi energy with the chemical potential that enters the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

I guess the thing you call "Fermi-level" is never clearly in the middle of the band gap (or only by chance),
because its position depends not only on the temperature and the doping of the semi conductor but also
on the shape of the density of states in the valence and conduction bands.

Too bad that sometimes even textbooks use "laboratory slang" rather then clear well defined expressions.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University