[Wien] Fermi level

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Oct 20 15:39:40 CEST 2016

The definition of the FERMI ENERGY that I gave is correct for every material: The Fermi energy is the energy of the highest occupied state at Zero temperature.
It does not depend wheter or not your material is a metal, an intrinsic semiconductor, an doped semiconductor, an insulator, or anything else.

Indeed, for metals the Fermi energy corresponds to the chemical potential (the quantity  that enters the Fermi-Dirac distribution)  at Zero temperature.
but the chemical potential of a metal will also depend on temperature (Note: the chemical potential, not the Fermi energy, depends on temperature.).

The Zero used in the electronic structure plots (DOS, band structure, etc.) of Wien2k is the Fermi energy as defined above,
therefore, it is correct to have the Zero at the top of the valence band.

By the way, you never defined what you mean with "Fermi level" and why it must be in the middle of the band gap.
If you define for whatever reason that "Fermi level" is "the energy in the middle of the band gap" then your question does not make sense.
However, if you like to stay with youre middle of the gap definition, then you should give a mathematical and physical proof that this is something
usefull for all shapes of the density of states of a semi-conductor.

If you like to know where the chemical potential in a certain semi-conducting material is then you may check with Boltztrap,
you have to do the same that I did when its still not implemented there , change the code to include it.

Just to mention, it is not my habit to answer questions about Wien2k that are send directly to me, please use the forum.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University