[Wien] Is there an effect of SO on the ground state

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Oct 30 11:56:08 CET 2016

My 2 cents to this: Not a particularly meaningful question.

The only meaningful thing about energies, as in eigenvalues of the
Hamiltonian, is their DIFFERENCE. The evolution with time of the state
of an isokated quantum system (Schrödinger picture) is completely
governed by the differences of the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian. The
choice of where you put zero is up to you.

A common choice for zero is the ground state energy of the Hamiltonian.
In this case clearly zero is zero, there is no effect of SO.

Other choices are more practical in various circumstances: The mean of
the spektrum of the Hamiltonian, or the Fermi energy (definition
discussed recently here), or some fictitious reference limit like the
state with all charges at infinite distance ... The ground state energy
then probably will depend on whether or not you put SO into your
Hamiltonian. After all you consider SO because it changes energy
differences and might split degeneracies.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University
Institute of Physics