[Wien] Questions about Na2IrO3 (PBE+SOC+U calculation with magnetic order)

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Aug 7 09:18:30 CEST 2017

> The Ir moments are read from case.scf file, but why should it be near
> an integer, and what is the unit of the reported moments in case.scf
> file? If the unit is bohr magneton, then for a spin 1/2, should it be ~1.7?

For a FERROmagnetic insulator, the TOTAL spin moment/cell must be
integer. The moments of individual atoms can have any value.

For an ANTIferromagnet, the total spin moment/cell must be zero, and of
course the atomic moments can again have any value.

What you get by :MMT or MMIxxx are spin moments only.

The moments are given in Bohr magnetons (mu_B), but are the spin
moments, not the effective moments. Thus if you have one unpaired
electron the spin moment is one.

PS: For your compound, the orbital moments are probably as important as
the spin moments and you must add them to get the total moment.