[Wien] wien2k

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Feb 12 01:23:10 CET 2017

Your WIEN2k is most likely properly installed.  That is because you
usually don't see the QTL-B Error and cannot allocate array messages
when it is NOT properly installed.  Also, it sounds like the second
calculation in your description ran fine.

Users frequently encounter the QTL-B Error.  If you search the mail
archive [ http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/
], you should find posts to help with that error.  For example:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg06051.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg13577.html

The Cannot allocate array is most likely because the calculation
requires a lot of random access memory (RAM) and your computer doesn't
have enough of it [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07052.html
].  I don't see below a mention of whether you compiled WIEN2k as 32 or
64 bit.  If 32 bit, the memory allocation is limited to 2 GB unless you
recompile as 64 bit under a 64 bit Linux operating system on computer
hardware with more than 4 GB RAM [
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/269131
,
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05586.html ].

The segmentation fault error might also be because you ran out of
computer memory.  Though, the SIGSEGV, segmentation fault error could be
caused by something else [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg14476.html ].

Reasons for the differences in computed values could be 1) slightly
different input parameters, 2) changes to the WIEN2k code, or 3)
computation with different hardware and software [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg12889.html
].

1) A survey of 1500 researchers showed that 70% tried and failed to
reproduce someone else’s published results [
http://ijobs.rutgers.edu/wordpress/2016/10/13/tips-and-best-practices-for-writing-a-scientific-paper-dr-eric-prager/#sthash.j85HdlFg.dpbs
].  So I wouldn't be surprised if the authors accidentally or
intentionally left out details needed to reproduce the results of their
publication.  Many of the journals have a page limitation. Usually,
there is a corresponding author email address in the published paper for
requesting those additional details.

2) One example I can think of to illustrate changes to the WIEN2k code
is the default mixer scheme.  In WIEN2k 10.1, MSEC1 was the default
written by lstart in case.inm, but MSR1 became the default starting with
WIEN2k 11.1 as the update page shows [
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/updates/ ].  So even if the
same struct file parameters where used in WIEN2k 10.1 and 16.1, the same
mixer calculation as 10.1 won't be performed in 16.1 unless MSR1 in
case.inm is changed to MSEC1.

3) One example of different software is the FFT library that WIEN2k
depends on.  It is possible that slightly (or largely, if there is
serious bug) different values might be obtained as results depending on
the version used [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg08066.html
].

Some other examples where a different software version could have been
used are the mkl (lapack and blas) and mpi library (Intel MPI or Open MPI).