[Wien] wien2k

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Feb 12 09:02:55 CET 2017

Specific to the two problems you mentioned: While it is possible, that
small differences occur due to code improvements, most of the time the
reason is simple:

You, or the authors of that paper, have done something wrong.

a) You do not say which material you investigate, but I guess that your
structure definition (case.struct) is wrong. At least this is most of
the time the reason for such reports. But since we don't know the
details, I can only speculate ....

b) A gap of 1.2 or 1.0 is at least similar. The differences can stem from:
i) volume (eg. experimental vs. theoretically optimized vol ???
ii) optical gap vs. fundamental gap, direct vs. indirect gap (see
previous discussions in the mailing list, the optical gap can be larger
than the fundamental one)
iii) either you or the authors of that paper quote a wrong number. Next
to :GAP in the scf file there is a warning: if you use a proper k-mesh.
One always has to check this :GAP value and compare it vs. a detailed
bandstructure plot, identifying the position of VBM and CBM. If the scf
k-mesh is course or does not contain Gamma (shifted mesh), the quoted
:GAP may be too large.
iv) different xc-functional ?