[Wien] symmetry broken for Cccm

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jun 29 13:45:35 CEST 2017

Dear Igor,

I looked into this subtle problem and came to the following conclusions:

a) There is nothing wrong with the code.

Calculations in

i)   I4/mmm (B-lattic, a a c),
ii)  Cccm (doubled unit cell, CXY, a*sqrt2,c,a*sqrt2)    and the
iii) Pma2 (primitive (again doubled) supercell, a+sqrt2,a*sqrt2,c)

yield total energies of E, 2E and 4E within microRy precision, identical
charges, ....

b) with respect to band structures there seems to be a subtle difficulty
in interpreting the back-folding, which occurs in these cases.

I attach two plots for only a small (not over crowded) E-window to make
the effects more clear.
i) The first plot in the smallest cell (I4/mmm) shows the bands from
Gamma-X, but shown actually from Gamma-AB(1/4,1/4,0) and X(labelled
2AB)(1/2,1/2,0)-AB(1/4,1/4,0), because this is what you will see when
backfolding the BZ in the larger cell.

ii) The other plot in Cmmc (doubled cell, rotated) shows the bands from
C (0,0,1/2) - Gamma - A(1/2,0,0) - 2A(1,0,0).
Obviously, the results of C-Gamma agree with the backfolded bands of i)
(after overlaying them and mirroring).
On the other hand, out of the 4 bands C-Gamma, only the 1st and 4th of
Gamma-A agree, while the other two disagree.
However, if I continue in this direction up to 2A, I can find in A-2A
the 2 "missing bands".
So actually the C-Gamma direction is equivalent to Gamma-2A, but the
latter also contains some other backfolded direction of the original
I4/mmm cell (which I'm too lazy to identify ...)

So obviously, backfolding in these various centered cells is more
difficult, but for sure consistently included.

Best regards
Peter