[Wien] Wien2k-parallel calculation

shaymlal dayananda kcsdayananda at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 23:48:29 CET 2017

Dear Gain Abo
Thank you very much for the reply.
As you guessed correctly I have not added the option -p to the optimize.job
Truly. , I didn't know I have to do that.

Now I change my script as "runsp_lapw -p -ec 0.001"
 Please let me know whether that is correct?

Thank you for your attention

Chami

 I'm doubtful that
 anyone can help with the information that you have
 provided.

 assume those scripts like qsub168h_1c are calling your
 optimize.job
 file.  If I remember
 correctly, the default optimize.job is generated
 from a template for a serial calculation.  The
 first thing to check
 would likely be: did
 you add the -p switch to the run[sp]_lapw statement
 in the optimize.job file that you are using for
 the calculation?

 On
 2/27/2017 11:08 AM, shaymlal dayananda wrote:
 > Dear developers
 >
 > I am using WIEN2k module which I am using
 is in a supercomputer
 > located elseware
 and I remotely use it. I don't have a way to create
 > my own machine files, instead I use
 prepared machine files by them.
 > They
 have linked those scripts to my interface with different
 options.
 > (such as 8core_168hrs,
 16cores_168hrs, 8core_ 8hrs...etc) Then I
 > select most suitable one to run my
 case.

 > Now I was
 doing a volume optimization of my case with spin and spin

 > polarization added. Since the
 calculation is quite big with my complex
 > structure, I selected 32core_168 hrs
 machine file with 2048Mb memory.
 > But
 my supercomputer supporter contacted me and told that even
 though
 > I have requested 32 cores, that
 job is running only with a single

 core. What exactly he has written me is copied below. But I
 am not
 > sure this. When I read roughly
 (I have only very little knowledge on

 this software installing side) the user guide what I
 understood is it
 > is possible to run
 parallel with some MPI libraries.  But I wanted to
 > get this clarified from you.
 >
 > What he has said is
 ..

 > I noticed that
 for the job you are running now you requested 32 cores
 > but the executable is serial and is
 running on one core. With that
 > said,
 for the schedule those requested resources count and can
 bring
 > down the priority for your jobs
 because it is like you are using the

 whole 32 cores but for your computation you are just using
 one core. I
 > checked the executable of
 wien2k, I find out that there are some of
 > them parallel and others are serial. The
 parallel programs are those
 > with
 'mpi' in their name like (*dstart_mpi hfc_mpi
 hf_mpi  lapw0_mpi
 > lapw1c_mpi
 lapw1_mpi lapw2c_mpi  lapw2_mpi  lapwso_mpi  nmrc_mpi
 > nmr_mpi*). So the others are serial. If
 you pick one of the programs
 > mentioned
 above (with mpi in their name), you can use one of the
 > scripts (*qsub48h_8c, qsub4h_8c,
 qsub72h_16c, qsub168h_8c, qsub168h_32c,**
 > qsub168h_64c, qsub8h_8c*). Otherwise, if
 you pick another program
 > (different
 from the previous ones), in this case, your program is
 > serial and to run it, you can use the new
 script I just created
 > (*qsub168h_1c*).
 It should appear already in your interface.

 > Thank you for your
 time

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----