[Wien] Problem in optimization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Mar 3 09:41:04 CET 2017

Hard to say anything about the qtl-b, since I do not know your
structure, your sphere sizes, your rkmax and for which atom/l the
problems occur.

It is not uncommon that c/a changes drastically with volume, since you
could have "soft" and "hard" axis, so that whith pressure one axes
changes much more than another. If you do not find a minimum (but have a
smooth curve), you need to extend the c/a search.

In all our recent posts (userguide, workshops, ...) it is highly
recommended to use   run_lapw -min  instead of the old   min_lapw script
when optimizing internal positions.
In many cases this is much more efficient and stable, although the
"automatic stopping" of run_lapw -min is still sometimes problematic and
it takes too long to stop (minimizes positions to forces of 0.5 or below
gaining only very little energy, although one does request only an
accuracy of 2 mRy).