[Wien] DOS of slab

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Mon May 8 08:29:08 CEST 2017

This might give rise to a "philosophical" question: What is the space ocupied by the topmost layer ?

To use the DOS of the atoms in the "topmost" layer will neglect the interstitial between the atoms, that is, the DOS will be not the one of the complete
"topmost" layer but only the one inside the MT spheres around the atoms that are defined to be in a selected layer.
(Note, already for bulk materials, the total DOS is not the sum of the atomic DOSs)
However, to what layer does the interstitial belong ? What if the surface is buckled ?
And further, is the vacuum part of the "topmost" layer or not ?

I wonder whether the Critic 2 code of the Oviedo Group in Spain can help by using a Baader analysis,
and to calculate the DOS inside of the space filling basins instead of spheres.
This might improve the situation but still leaves some questions open.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University