[Wien] DOS of slab

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 8 14:08:13 CEST 2017

Well, the colleague 'desires to obtain the DOS of the just top
monolayer'.

He (or she) might dodge your "philosophical" question of what space is
occupied by the topmost layer since the DOS is, after all, not a volume
density but an energy density. Even if he solves all your questions and
specifies what space qualifies as topmost layer he still has to decide
which states contribute how much. Counting electrons in that volume does
not solve the problem as stated. For example, what about the unoccupied
DOS above EFermi?

The no less "philosophical" question then is to specify which states he
wants to give the honor of being part of team 'topmost layer' - then to
project on them.

And my best wishes for the most difficult part: convince his audience
that the choice is convincing for the point to be made. ;-)

Martin Pieper