[Wien] Fixed spin moment calculation combined with spin scaling xc

mazin mazin at nrl.navy.mil
Tue May 16 15:44:19 CEST 2017

Dear Peter,

It's been some time and I need to refresh my memory. The problem with
implementing scale Exc was that the straightforward scaling of Exc was
not variational with the scaling of vxc; I mean, taking variation of Exc
was giving the scaled vxc.

at some point I reversed-engineered Exc that would yield, upon
variation, the scaled vxc, and at that time I sent you my notes, but i
need to gig them out now.

More recently, Kay Dewhurst showed that you van construct a much simpler
variationally consistent scaling recipe for Exc, and they implemented
that in ELK; I can find his notes, too, I think.

Best
Igor

On 5/16/2017 9:10 AM, Peter Blaha wrote:
> It was quite some time ago when I implemented the scaled Vxc.
>
> I looked again into the paper by Mazin and I'm not completely sure about
> his nomenclature about E_xc^P. If I assume that this term is just our
> (E_x(up)+E_x(dn)) and my "E_c" is his f(chi)*delta epsilon_xc(n), then
> spin scaling for the energy is trivial by multiplying the E_c term with
> the scaling parameter s.
>
> I've done this in the attached subroutine vxclm2.f in lapw0.
>
> You may test it and see if it gives reasonable results. However, no
> tests from my side yet. (Test eg. a non-spin-polarized calc with or
> without spin-scaling must give identical E-tot)
>
> Peter Blaha
>
> On 05/16/2017 02:25 PM, Peter Blaha wrote:
>> Yes and no.
>>
>> Technically I guess you can do it.
>>
>> However, the spin scaling is implemented only in the potential, i.e. the
>> spin-scaling will reduce the spin-polarized Vxc and thus the magnetic
>> moments. But with FSM you increase the EF-shifts, until the moment is
>> what you like.
>> Exc, which you usually need in an FSM calculation has not been
>> implemented with spin.scaling in wien2k.
>>
>> One should check the paper of Mazin and see how this should be
>> implemented. It should not be so difficult, but ...
>>
>> On 05/16/2017 12:30 PM, "Niedermayr, Arthur" wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would really appreciate it if somebody could tell me if*_a fixed spin
>>> moment calculation combined with spin scaling_* is possible in WIEN2k.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Arthur Niedermayr

Igor Mazin, NRL, code 6390, 4555 Overlook Ave SW, Washington, DC 20375
Phone: (202) 767-6990; Fax: (202) 404-7546; e-mail mazin at nrl.navy.mil
Home page (private) http://igormazin.us/