[Wien] :WARN : WARNING: RKmax reduced due to NMATMAX

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Nov 10 20:02:15 CET 2017

Regarding the "foreach" error in WIEN2k 17.1 when starting directly an
iterative diagonalization, I believe you can safely ignore it if it
occurs only in cycle 1.  It looks like this is because there is not yet
a case.vector/up/dn that the vec2old_lapw script can copy to
case.vector.old/up.old/dn.old.  By ignoring the "foreach" message(s) and
from what is seen in the terminal, it seems like it is performing full
diagonalization in cycle 1 and continuing with iterative diagonalization
[1] after that just fine:

username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTit$ ls
TESTit.struct
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTit$ init_lapw -b
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTit$ run_lapw -it
hup: Command not found.
  LAPW0 END
foreach: No match.
  LAPW1 END
  LAPW2 END
  CORE  END
  MIXER END
ec cc and fc_conv 0 1 1
in cycle 2    ETEST: 0   CTEST: 0
hup: Command not found.
  LAPW0 END
  LAPW1 END
  LAPW2 END
  CORE  END
  MIXER END
ec cc and fc_conv 0 1 1

A quote from [2], says:

"Often the best performance can be obtained by first running to a crude
convergence, next doing a ``full diagonalization'' and finally
continuing iteratively to self consistency. (e. g. use first: run_lapw
-it -fc 10 and then run_lapw -it -fc 1)."

So, if you happen to start an iterative diagonalization calculation from
a previous crude calculation, it looks like you will not have the
"foreach" error:

username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTitcrude$ ls
TESTitcrude.struct
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTitcrude$ init_lapw -b
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTitcrude$ run_lapw -i 1
hup: Command not found.
  LAPW0 END
  LAPW1 END
  LAPW2 END
  CORE  END
  MIXER END
ec cc and fc_conv 0 1 1

 >   energy in SCF NOT CONVERGED
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTitcrude$ save_lapw -d crude_calc
username at computername:~/Desktop/TESTitcrude$ run_lapw -it
hup: Command not found.
  LAPW0 END
  LAPW1 END
  LAPW2 END