[Wien] different MLD for bcc structure for magnetic equivalent directions M001, M010 and M100

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 28 13:35:30 CET 2017

I looked into the two directories which you provided in a previous mail.

Why do you have 16 and 8 symm.ops in the corresponding struct files ???
  Definitely you should also have in the 100 case 16 sym.ops.
I can therefore also see a vastly different number of k-points for the 2
scf files.

 From you first email, I thought the problem is already in lapwso (or
the scf cycle), since you mentioned that already eigenvalues differ.

Personally, I found it already quite difficult to converge the 100 and
001 case to the same total energy using TETRA (there is no problem using
eg. TEMP 0.001). Depending on the k-mesh and the fermi-method I get
small oszillations (at low :DIS) on the mycroRy level and I would
probably have to go to larger meshes .....

This problem manifests itself in
grep :NEC01 case.scf   (normalization not identical or oszillates ...) and
grep 'CHA ' case.scf

My two tests with 30x30x30 unshifted meshes and TETRA 101., RKMAX=7 gives:
:CHA  : TOTAL VALENCE CHARGE INSIDE UNIT CELL =       8.072612
:CHA  : TOTAL VALENCE CHARGE INSIDE UNIT CELL =       5.927386
                                                      13.999998

:CHA  : TOTAL VALENCE CHARGE INSIDE UNIT CELL =       8.072635
:CHA  : TOTAL VALENCE CHARGE INSIDE UNIT CELL =       5.927359
                                                      13.999994
Obviously it should always be exactly 14.0 (and this is fulfilled with
TEMP).
Using TEMP 0.0001 and tight convergence it is possible to get all
eigenvalues of a 100 and 001 calculations identical to 0.01 mycroRy (not
milliRy !!).
Of course, you have to be careful with this comparison, sind the same
k-points will NOT have the same eigenvalues, but symmetry-equivalent k
have: For instance for my test mesh, the 4th and 65th k-points are
equivalent, ...:

E(001)(k=  4         3         3         0        21) =
E(100)(k= 65        21        18         3        21)

Conclusion:
i) If k-space integration works, there is no problem whatsoever in the
scf cycle with/without SO, different symmetry, .....
ii) TETRA is dangerous in these comparisons, since the tetrahedra are
built differently for different reciplocal lattices and in particular if
there are subtle crossings at EF, the (non-)linear extrapolation may
lead to some artefacts. They are very small, but since SO for Fe is a
small effect, ...

Later on, you focussed more on the optics (since this is your primary
interest) and claim, it has nothing to do with SO ???, only with
symmetry breaking.  Maybe you are right, it is nothing than the
integration in joint using the weights from lapw2, which makes the
Problems. At least manual inspection of some momentum matrix elements,
which should be identical (or permutated) for equivalent k-pionts
indicates that they obey symmetry. ....
I checked your case.in2c files, and in both you have TETRA 0.000 as
Fermi method. As mentioned in the UG for optic one should NOT use the
Blöchl-method (with non-linear corrections), but use  TETRA  100.1
and the original tetrahedron method.
Unfortunately, this does not fix the problems. Together with your
reports that with a larger k-mesh the problems get smaller, it points to
a problem in k-space integration in joint.

I'll continue to look into that problem.