[Wien] different MLD for bcc structure for magnetic equivalent directions M001, M010 and M100

Jaroslav Hamrle hamrle at karlov.mff.cuni.cz
Mon Nov 27 15:07:08 CET 2017

Dear all,

thank you for your comments:

1)

> Did you use a Gamma centered k mesh (and enough k points)

I have checked that the same inequality in MLD, appears both when
k-points are shifted or not shifted. So, influence of shift of k-points
can be ruled out.

I have 30x30x30 k-points, which should be enough. When using 46x46x46
k-mesh, the MLD inequality is reduced by about factor two, but still
present. Even when using very fine k-mesh (90x90x90) for optical
calculation, the inequality persists.

2)

> In some cells shifting the k-point origin with MSR1a leads to slightly
> unbalanced forces which are hard to converge to the "right" symmetric
> result. If the forces are slightly off, this is an indication that the
> density is also slightly off. Exactly why this occurs I do not know, I
> suspect very soft modes associated with numerical errors in finite
> arithmetic.

Well, for me it is hard to believe, that the problem can originates from
numerical error. The MLD inequality creates sort-of ghost peaks in MLD
spectra which for bcc Fe are very stable at positions at 4.8 and 6 eV
for different calculation details (as different k-mesh, presence/absence
of spin-orbit, shifted/non-shifted k-mesh). Under all those changes in
the calculations, the position of ghost peaks remains very stable, just
their amplitudes varies. Also, if problem would be just numerical one,
why ghost peaks are not present in simple cubic or fcc calculations?

3)

> It is instructive to repeat the calculation without SO and see how big
> the difference between sig_xx and sig_yy (for any M direction) is then.

I tried to calculate various combinations of structure, (with/without SO
or sp) using full (non-magnetic) bcc symmetry, or bcc symmetry reduced
by presence of magnetization (i.e. it means reduction of symmetry + new
k-mesh as generated by initso).
In case of spin-polarized calculations without SO, the ghost MLD peaks
appear when going from full bcc symmetry to bcc symmetry reduced by
magnetization.

	nosp+noso 	sp+noso 	sp+so
bcc full symmetry without magnetization 	OK 	OK 	X
bcc symmetry reduced by magnetization 	? 	ghosts 	ghosts
(fcc or simple cubic) reduced by magnetization
	? 	OK 	OK

Therefore it seems to me that the ghost MLD peaks appear when symmetry
is reduced in the bcc structure. It seems that SO coupling is not
important in this problem.
It is the lower symmetry itself, which creates the MLD inequality (ghost
MLD peaks).

For example, can there be some small problem with generation of k-mesh
or related symmetry in bcc+magnetization case?

Thank you for your help
With my best regards
Jaroslav

Mgr. Jaroslav Hamrle, Ph.D.