[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

E.A.Moore e.a.moore at open.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 17:29:15 CEST 2017

Your calculations are probably fine.

Apologies for my previous posting but my point was partly that I think you said the  experimentalists claimed it was Pauli paramagnetic.

Pauli paramagnetism is not the type of paramagnetism that arises from unpaired electrons on metal ions in, for example, transition metal complexes. It is a property of metals. It arises if there is an unfilled conduction band. In an external magnetic field, one type of spin (up or down) acquires a different energy to the other type resulting in an excess of one type over the other and hence paramagnetism.

Both your result and the nonmagnetic finding are consistent with the existence of Pauli paramagnetism.

You results suggest that the 3 unpaired electrons on V are not localised on V but are in a delocalised band. Do you predict VS has a partially full conduction band?

Elaine A. Moore