[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Sep 8 03:14:18 CEST 2017

Perhaps the -ec 0.001 and -cc 0.001 are too large of values.

As I recall, to be well-converged, it is usually best to use about the
default values seen in the post [1] or WIEN2k 17.1 usersguide [2] as:

-cc 0.0001
-ec 0.0001

It sounded like about the default value for -ec was good unless
something like -ec 0.00001 was desired to reduce numerical noise, but
anything smaller seemed useless [3,4].

For -cc, 0.00001 also may be the lowest limit [5] and quite ambitious to
try to use [6].

In section "4.5.4 Antiferromagnetic (AFM) calculations" on page 46 in
the usersguide [2], there is the statement:

"If nothing changes (E-tot and other properties), then you are ok,
otherwise make sure the scf calculation is well converged (-cc 0.0001 or
better)."

If I read from the statement correctly, a well converged scf calculation
typically uses -cc with a value of 0.0001 or smaller. Though, there is a
realistic limit as mentioned above on how small it could be set.

In [7], it sounded important that the -cc value was low for the :MMIn
values.

So, maybe the calculation can still converge further such that possibly
the "MMI for V1" and "MMI for V2" will both become zero when they reach
better convergence.

[1]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg12620.html
[2] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf