[Wien] Hardware (i7-7700k?) for WIEN2k

Karsten Küpper kkuepper at uos.de
Mon Sep 18 23:44:00 CEST 2017

Dear WIEN2k-community,

We want to buy a workstation dedicated to run WIEN2k.
Our aim is to calculate mostly transition metal oxides with unit cells
ranging from 24 - 128 atoms supercells.
We are thinking about a workstation with at least 4 cores, at least 64
GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD as a starting point.

1) May that be a reasonable choice?

2) Has anybody experiences with the i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (maybe also
compared to Intel-Xeon E5-2623 processors),  as there is no benchmark
test available on the WIEN2k homepage by now.

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

Kind regards
Karsten Küpper

---