[Wien] Hardware (i7-7700k?) for WIEN2k

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 19 08:36:15 CEST 2017

Without knowing the new i7-7700K myself, a few recommendations:

You do NOT need more memory than 64 GB (in fact we have at most 32 GB on
our  workstations). If a calculation requires that much memory, the
single processor speed is too slow anyway.

I'd go for the I7, because it has faster memory and faster clock speed.

The advantage of a Xeon is usually that that you can combine 2-4 CPUs on
a single motherboard. But usually have pay a lot for this possibility.

PS: I'd certainly also get in addition a regular 2-4TB harddisk (costs
nothing, but is very useful)

Peter Blaha