[Wien] Hardware (i7-7700k?) for WIEN2k

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Sep 19 06:20:21 CEST 2017

Some additional comments:

If you need an idea of about how computational intensive a WIEN2k
calculation might be for around 60 atoms per cell or more.  The links
below and links in those posts might be helpful:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg14035.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg01420.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05784.html

The hardware specifications for the i7-7700K and E5-2623 v3 processors
should be at the links:

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/83354/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2623-v3-10M-Cache-3_00-GHz

The specifications look fairly similar.  So maybe there would not be too
much of a difference in the WIEN2k calculation run times between the two.

The i7-7700K supports a Max Memory Size of 64 GB.  The E5-2623 v3 could
have a major advantage when it comes to supporting a Max Memory Size of
768 GB.  However, if the motherboard the E5-2623 v3 goes on does not
have memory expansion slots for more than 64 GB or if you never plan to
add additional memory modules to increase the memory beyond 64 GB, then
that would not matter.

The i7-7700K does have about a 1 GHz faster processor frequency and it
looks like it supports a faster RAM (DDR4-2133/2400, while the E5-2623
v3 supports a slower DDR4 with frequency of 1600 or 1866 MHz).  So this
might give it better performance than the i7-7700K if the calculation
uses less than 64 GB of RAM.  Above 64 GB, the workstation would likely
use virtual memory and disk caching may significantly slow a calculation
(whereas the E5-2623 v3 with more than 64 GB should extend the limit of
this RAM bottleneck).  The i7-7700K also supports DDR3L-1333/1600.  If
both the i7-7700K and E5-2623 v3 workstations happen to use the same
DDR3 1600 RAM, then no speed up or slow down is expected from the RAM
frequency.

More importantly than all that may be the launch date for the E5-2623 v3
of Q3'14, while Q1'17 for the i7-7700K.  The Xeon E5-2623 v3 has been
around awhile.  So Linux distributions most likely have drivers that
support this processor.  With the i7-7700K being so new, you might have
to be more cautious.  If you decide to get the i7-7700K, I recommend
checking that the Linux distribution, compiler (in particular if you
plan to use a non-Intel compiler like gfortran), and libraries (such as
a blas library with the non-Intel compiler) that you will be using are
able to support and recognize the processor.

As an example, I think it was the Intel HD Graphics 530 onboard the
Intel Skylake processors when they were first launched that didn't have
a good Linux driver [
https://askubuntu.com/questions/698168/cant-get-intel-hd-graphics-530-skylake-i7-6700-to-work
]. If I recall correctly, the graphics were broken (or of poor quality)
for several months until the drivers were finally released.

Of note, there is also seems to be a E5-2623 v4:

http://ark.intel.com/products/92980/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2623-v4-10M-Cache-2_60-GHz