[Wien] Installation with MPI and GNU compilers

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Wed Apr 4 05:48:52 CEST 2018

Some comments:

I haven't seen many mailing list posts about using a gfortran-based
mpi.  That is probably because the clusters used for mpi are likely
systems that cost something like $100k to $1 millon.  Those systems
usually seem to be running Intel MPI.  So companies, computing centers,
and universities for example likely have no problem paying say $1,499
for Cluster Edition for C/C++ and Fortran [
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/academic-pricing ].

How much I get paid to help you: $0

How much the IT Support Technician at your organization likely gets paid
to help you: average pay of about $52k per year according to glassdoor [
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/it-support-technician-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm
]

Meaning, please try asking your clusters IT department or helpdesk first
for help with this if you have one.

I assume your using at least a GB-network cluster [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg13632.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg09334.html
] as mpi is usually useless with a single multi-core personal computer [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05470.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07371.html
].

If you plan to use Bandstructure in w2web of WIEN2k 17.1, a "At line 75
of file modules_tmp_.F (unit = 5, file = 'ubuntu.in1c')" error can occur
with gfortran when the "x lapw1 -band" button is clicked, so you may
want to apply band.pl and scf.pl [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16069.html
] or band.patch and scf.patch [
https://github.com/gsabo/WIEN2k-Patches/tree/master/17.1 ]. There are
some other patches that might also be helpful for gfortran [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17175.html
].  However, I currently don't have files (SRC_symmetry and x_lapw) to
fix the gfortran error with "x dstart" if you use the init_lapw command,
but you could probably get them from Prof. Blaha or make the changes
yourself following the instructions given before [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16674.html
].

Yes, it usually better to have only one MPI implementation and one BLAS
library.  However, it should not be a problem as long as you can keep
them from mixing and conflicting with each other.  As I recall, all mpi
is somewhat equal [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg09557.html
], though openmpi might be easy to compile [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07343.html
].

The libfftw3 and libfftw3_mpi of FFTW 3.x.x [
http://www.fftw.org/download.html ] are what you need to use.  The
liblfftw3xf and libfftw3xf_gnu (or libfftw3x_cdft.a) files if I recall
correctly would be located or generated in the interfaces directory of
an Intel ifort/mkl installation [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07333.html
].  The mkl interface to fftw3xf I think still does not work with mpi
(only for serial compilation) [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg06959.html
].

Sorry, I currently don't have answers to your other questions, but I
think you are headed in the right direction.